Sunday, March 10, 2013

Spicy Cilantro Pesto with TJ's Sausage

Ok. This post is way past due. This was the most tasty dish I made while Shelby was gone in Korea in January. That's right, January. No excuses. I have just been lazy.

I got a bunch of fresh cilantro from the farm share. I learned this summer that really the best thing to do with these huge bunches of herbs is to make pesto, or puree, if you are a purist and only call basil with olive oil pesto. Anyway, Bittman's recipes for these are delicious. I made his cilantro pesto with the spicy variation, throw in a hot pepper to the food processor. We have these hot peppers from the Korean market in the freezer, and they really add a kick to anything. The sauce is make entirely in the food processor, super easy.

The pasta was also a key ingredient. I used some of the homemade pasta I bought from the Cambridge indoor farmers market. It was Valicenti Organico's truffle pappardalle, super delicious after boiled for a few minutes. Just remember to separate the pasta before you boil, which means you need an hour for it to thaw first.

 For a little protein, I made some TJ's sausage to go with the pasta. The sausage was Apple and Chardonnay variety. Tasty, and it cooked very well in the cast iron.


The finished  product was very delicious. The cilantro and spicyness meant it paired well with some corona, especially since I had a lime left over from the recipe.


I can't wait for the summer when the herbs start rolling in and we can restock our pesto supplies. This stuff freezes very well, and I want to stock up the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment